Running is probably the most natural of sports but that doesn’t mean that you won’t be injured or benefit from seeing Dr Baines to help prevent injury. Chiropractic can be used for injury prevention as it focuses on aligning the spine and pelvis that can be misaligned through impact injuries or as a result of going for a run after being sat in one position for a long period of time.
Dr Baines also treats runners (from recreational to professional athletes) with injuries such as Achilles tendonitis, IT Band Syndrome, Plantar Fasciitis, Shin Splints, Runner’s Knee and many others. Using Graston Technique and Active Release Technique (see specialist techniques), Dr Phil can also reduce the effects of scar tissue to aid mobilisation in muscles and reduce or eliminate the pain that this may cause.
Avoiding injury means running is more enjoyable and ultimately that you are able to run more.
Active Care Chiropractic suggest the following ways of reducing the risk of injury:
- Avoid doing too much to soon; building speed and distance should be gradual.
- Remember that rest is important for recovery
- Cross-train when possible – one or two days of non-running will allow the body to recover
- Stretching may help to reduce the likelihood of injury
- If you start to feel pain or niggles, speak with a chiropractor to discuss how they can help you.